Sunday, October 10, 2010

Meet Bruno....

Twelve years ago, I was living in an apartment, with a hamster...  I missed my dogs.  It was Christmas time and my brother and I went to the mall to shop.  As always, I insisted on going to the pet store to get my fill of puppies.
When we walked in, there was an adorable little beagle in the center, wanting to be held.  I picked him up and he kissed me, with his wonderful puppy breath.  I left him there, tears in my eyes, a wag in his tail....
My grandfather sent me a check for Christmas that year.  My best friend, Jenny, and I went to the mall to spend some of my gift.  As usual, we went to the pet store.  Unbeknownst to Jenny, this time, I was looking for someone.  I walked up and down the aisle, searching....  Jenny asked me what I was looking for.  I told her a beagle.  She said, "Well there is a beagle in the front window"!
I raced to the front of the store....  there he was, my little beagle friend!  I asked to hold him, even as Jenny said, "Nooooooooooooooo, don't hold him"!  I held him.
I hugged him and snuggled him; and then it happened...  He kissed my nose.  I was done.  I heard myself saying, "I'll take him".  Did I mention, my apartment did not allow dogs???
His first scary encounter happened shortly after meeting me...  I had to work that night, so we just headed to Jenny's house, which was near work.  When we got there, with the adorable, tiny, 8 week old beagle, Jenny's malamute tried to eat him!!  Poor little guy.
That night, he went to work with me.  I kept him in a cardboard box under my console.  I was a 911 operator.  As I was bending over to pet him, I keyed my microphone (not knowing).  I began to say things like "you are so cute", "I love you" and "I am so happy you are mine".  All of these went over the airwaves to all of the cops I was dispatching!  After giving me a hard time, they all came in and said similar things to my new best friend.
I named him "Brunobear, the beagleman".  He is now known to all as my beloved Bruno...

No comments:

Post a Comment