Sunday, October 17, 2010

The day the dogs went missing.....

Joe and I had been dating for 6 months.  I had planned to surprise him after work and take him for a romantic getaway...  He was planning on proposing!
Since I had to work,  Joe stopped by my house to take care of Bruno and Beau.  I was sitting at work and the phone rang.  I saw it was Joe, so I answered quickly.  This is how the conversation went....

Joe "The dogs are gone"
Me "What do you mean, the dogs are gone?????"
Joe "The ran under the fence.  They are gone"
Me "Go find them"

I still had 3 hours to go on my shift.   I sat there, feeling helpless.  I became restless.  The tears started to come.  I left work and headed home.  On my way home, I called my Dad and step-mom and my brother.  Everyone was out looking for them.
Joe called and told me Beau was home.  He came home on his own.  I asked about Bruno, my first baby...  No sign of him.  My heart sunk, I began to sob.  We all continued to look for several hours and we did not find Bruno.  I was so relieved that I had asked Joe to put their collars on...  the collars never got on....  This was the angriest Joe had ever (and to this day has ever) seen me.
We went inside and I opened the back door and turned on the porch light, thinking that would help Bruno find his way home.  I even put hot dogs on the grill hoping to entice him home.  I laid on the couch with Beau all night, hoping, praying and staring at the door.
Bruno was out in the mountains, with the wildlife and highways.  He was only 18 pounds.  He didn't have a chance.  But that didn't stop me from hoping.  The next day I made many, HUGE, bright signs.  My Dad and step-mom offered to put up half of a huge reward.  I put posters EVERYWHERE!  I posted it on the computer, I called vets, I called shelters....  no Bruno, anywhere...
And then, the calls started coming in - frequently.  There were many Bruno sightings.  Everytime someone would call, my ENTIRE family would rush out of the house to look for him.  He was never there...  and then the calls stopped.  It had been almost 2 weeks and we hadn't heard from anyone for a while.  I was sure he was gone for good.  Beau was, too.  He was so upset about his buddy, that he made himself sick and ended up in the ER with an ulcer!!!  He had to spend the night in the ER.  So, I went home to an empty house, without a single snuggle buddy.
Early the next morning, the phone rang.  I was sure Beau had gotten worse, or even died during the night.  This phone call went like this:

Me "Hello?"
Caller "I found your dog"
Me "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!?????????  REALLY???????  WHERE ARE YOU?????"
Caller "At the school"
Me "I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!!!!!"

I hung up the phone and rushed to get dressed.  I then realized, I had not asked WHICH school!!??!!??!! I drove to the junior high, where there had been Bruno sightings.  I pulled up into the circle drive at the front and 2 men came out of the door, followed by a small and very tired beagle!!!!!  I was so happy to see Bruno!  I cried and cried and thanked the men.  I was so excited I never even asked where he was or how long they had him!  Bruno looked great!  He only had a tiny scratch on his back paw!  And he looked very, very tired.
We went home, I called, and woke up, my dad to tell him.  He was just as happy!  While we talked, Bruno searched for Beau, who was not home.  Bruno was sad, so I had to tell him the good news that happened while he was gone.  Joe and Mommy were getting married!!  He was going to have a Daddy! He wagged his tail and then we both passed out in my bed!
Later that day, I took Bruno to the ER to see Beau.  Beau perked right up, as did Bruno.  Beau was released the next day!  We all began the wedding plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment